GALLERY OF DRAWING D. DINIS

GALLERY OF DRAWING D. DINIS

The ”Pacos do Concelho” medieval were originally built, probably, in the fourteenth century, during the reign of D. Alfonso IV (r. 1325-1357). The building has three distinct bodies, the ”galile”, the ”Torre do Relógio” and ”Sala do Concelho”.

The ”galile” is formed by five pointed arches that sit on geminated columns with decorated chapters. They are also visible the points that supported the primitive coverage that, as a result of the reform Manueline, is built on a ribbed vault with plant designs, exhibiting in central key the Cross of Christ. The ”Torre do Relógio” is too from the reform of the sixteenth century and is decorated with green and yellow tiles. The ”Sala do Concelho”, with pointed gate, is crowned by the first flag of Arms known in Estremoz, dating from the reign of D. Alfonso IV.The inner sidewall of the west has a fragment of fresco wall painting, despite being badly damaged, remains one of the rare examples associated with spaces of its kind in Portugal. Indeed it´s only know one more, that of ”Paço da Audiência de Monsaraz”, the latter rather more complete. This is a painting executed following the fresco technique using three basic colours: red, yellow and black with their respective nuances.At the ends seems to be what´s left of a figure related, probably, to an allegory of the Justice.This mural would cover the entire wall and would be surely associated with the Manueline work campaign held in the building in the early sixteenth century.

Address: Largo D. Dinis, 7100 Estremoz
Town: Estremoz
Country: Portugal
Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Phone: 268 339 219
Learn more
icon

Share

Google Play QR

Google Play QR

App Store QR

App Store QR